DogBasics Fun Day 2011
On 11 September 2011 we kicked off yet another DogBasics Fun Day in 'our' meadow in Great Offley, Hertfordshire. We had a great turnout with about 23 dogs competing in different games.
We played games like Ball Bobbing where the dog has to retrieve a ball from a bucket of water, Snaffle the Sausage where the dog has to eat a row of sausages on their way to their owners (harder than you think!), Best Trick, Waggiest Tail, Best Looking Pooch, etc.
Below are some highlights from our day...
For highlights from the joint (with 2 other dog clubs) Fun Day 2010, click here
Pictures from the 2011 DogBasics Fun Day
Henry Whippet's dad, Rob, took some lovely photos for us on the day and I've uploaded them to an online gallery, where you can see them all.
For the gallery of pictures from the 2011 Fun Day, click here
FIRST PRIZE WINNERS
1 Minute Stay
Snaffle The Sausage
Best Looking Pooch
Longest Pooh bag toss (with treats in bag)
1 min Toy Retrieve
SECOND PRIZE WINNERS
Sorry, doesn't look like I kept record of 2nd place this year...
THIRD PRIZE WINNERS
Sorry, doesn't look like I kept record of 3rd place this year...
- you walk your dog on lead without him/her pulling until you hear 'Sharks!', you then must get your dog to either sit or lie down depending on what has been asked for at the start of the game. Last dog to sit down will be out of the game. When only 2 dogs remain in the game, the first dog to sit at the command 'Sharks!', will win! You are not allowed to physically assist your dog into a sit or down during the game, nor are you allowed to tug on his/her lead.
*Waggiest Tail *
- the dog that wags his/her tail the most wins a prize!
*Fastest Recall *
- Your dog will be held by someone else and you will be directed to a distance of 20 meters. At the given signal, all dogs will be released. The dog first up to his owner will win! If we have more than 5 dogs entered, we will run this game in heats.
*Slowest Recall *
- Your dog will be held by someone else and you will be directed to a distance of 20 meters. At the given signal, all dogs will be released. The dog last up to his owner will win! However, if your dog does a detour and runs off into the bushes or into the audience, he will be disqualified.
*Longest Pooh bag toss*
- you and your dog are placed by a marker line. Your dog needs to stay in positing next to you (sitting/lying or standing don't matter) while you toss a pooh bag (filled with treats!) as far as you can. Neither you nor your dog can cross the marker line. If you are unhappy with your throw, you can try again. You have 3 tries. In the end, the team that has thrown their bag the furthest without the dog or owner stepping over the marker line, wins.
- Your dog will be placed first 2 meters away from you in a sitting position. You direct your dog to lie down. If your dog lies down without moving over the marked line in front of them, he moves on to the next level. Next level is 5 meters away. If you pass this level, we move on to 10 meters away. We carry on this way adding 5 meters each time until only 1 dog remains.
*Contact Slalom *
- you will walk your dog through a maze of toys, treats and other distractions without your dog loosing his focus on you. This exercise will engage your lead walking skills AND the leave exercise.
- all the teams line up in a row. 1 person is a traffic light and will shout out 'Green Light!' at which point all the teams can move forward. They can only walk when the lead is slack. If they are caught walking on a tight lead, they will be sent back to the starting line and will have to start again from there. The traffic light person will count to 10 and then shout 'Red Light!', at which point you will need to stop your dog and place him/her in a sit or down position (depending on what you have been told at the beginning of the game). When the traffic light person has counted to 10 again, he/she will turn around and all dogs should be in the sit/down position. If a dog is spotted in a different position, that team will be sent back to the starting line. This carries on until a team reaches the traffic light and taps his/her shoulder.
*1 minute Toy Retrieval *
- you start with your dog by a marker with a square area in front of you filled with toys. When the signal goes you will have 1 minute to get your dog to retrieve as many toys as possible to you. You are not allowed to leave the marker, you must send your dog out to retrieve on his own. The team (dog and owner) with the most toys retrieved after 1 minute, win.
- alternative sits and downs along 8 cones. First dog back wins.
*Spoon race *
- you have to walk your dog on lead with a spoon in the same hand as your lead and round a cone about 10 meters away. A treat will be placed in the spoon for your race. You are not allowed to hold the treat in anyway, only hold the spoon. If the treat falls off the spoon during the race, pick it up and place it back on the spoon in order to carry on your race. Should your dog eat the treat, you will be out of the race. First dog and owner back to the original marker will win!
*1 minute Stay *
- You leave your dog in a stay (sit or down is up to you) for 1 minute. You have to move 10 meters away from your dog during the stay. Exercise is done in group.
- you will walk your dog outside a circle of markers. Inside the circle are more markers. When you hear 'Places!' you need to place your dog outside the circle, in a stay, while you run into the middle and claim a marker by putting your foot on it. Your dog has to remain in a stay outside the circle. When all the markers in the middle have been claimed there will be 1 person without a marker and that team will be out of the game. We carry on like this until only 5 dogs remain in the game. At this point an additional rule is introduced. If you are last and don't have a marker to claim, you get 5 seconds to distract the other teams dogs. You have to stay within the circle and you can't use the other dogs names AND your dog has to remain in their stay, while you are distracting the other dogs. If you are successful and one of the other teams dogs get up and that owner has to sort out their dog, you can claim their marker. If your time runs out and you still haven't claimed one of the markers in the middle, then you are out. This carries on until we have 1 marker in the middle and the first person to claim it wins.
*Best Trick *
- show off your hard work in this competition where imagination is the only limit to your success. Show off a trick or a whole routine that you and your dog have worked on. You are allowed to use treats during your routine, but be aware that it will lower your score!
*Human Retrieve *
- you will place your dog outside a circle of markers. When the game starts you will ask your dog to stay, while you run into the middle of the circle picking up one toy at a time and bringing back to place next to your dog. You carry on returning to the centre picking up toys to place by your dog until there are no toys left in the middle. If your dog gets up during the game, you will have to relinquish one of your retrieved toys. When all the toys are collected, the team with the most amount of toys collected wins!
*Best looking pooch *
- we pick the best looking pooch. All breeds and mongrels are welcome!
- you start with leaving your dog in a stay, while you walk 10 meters away with your back turned. At the 10 meter mark you bring the hoola hoop from your feet and up over your head, then sit down in the hoola and sing 'how much is that doggie in the window', then stand up and call your dog. Your dog should recall to you and finish in a close sit in front of you ('present' exercise). Then ask your dog to move to your side and into a sit ('finish' exercise). Once your dog is sitting by your side, you move in front of your dog to his opposite side, while he remains in a sitting position. If he gets up from the sit, you need to start again. Then ask him to lie down by your side and you step over him so you end up on his other side. He should be remaining in the down position while you step over him, or you'll have to do it again. When you have completed the stepping over your dog in the down position part, you walk back to the starting marker, whilst getting your dog to weave between your legs. You are not allowed to take a single step without your dog having past through your legs. When you have returned to your starting marker, get your dog to lie down by the marker. First dog back and lying down wins! Only the first 6 dogs booked in will be allowed to compete.
*Snaffle the sausage *
- which dog can eat a row of sausages fastest? Your dog will be held 10 meters away from you. A number of sausage pieces will be placed between you and your dog. Your dog will have to eat ALL the sausage pieces before returning to you, in order to complete the task. First dog to arrive with his owner after eating ALL his sausages, wins the race. NOTE! Only the first 6 dogs booked in will be allowed to compete. We will then run 2 heats with 3 dogs in each heat and the winners from those 2 heats will run in the final.